In industrial settings, particularly warehouses, safety is a paramount concern.
Floors play a pivotal role in accident prevention. Polished concrete emerges as a top-tier solution, owing to its non-slip properties.
Let’s delve deeper into this solution, as well as other tips to maximise floor safety in warehouses.
Polished Concrete: A Safe and Aesthetic Surface
Polished concrete is achieved through a mechanical grinding and polishing process that transforms the rough surface of concrete into a smooth and shiny one.
This treatment offers several significant benefits:
- Slip Prevention: Despite its glossy look, polished concrete increases the friction coefficient, making it less slippery, especially compared to other coverings.
- Durability: Polished concrete is wear-resistant, making it ideal for high-traffic areas like warehouses.
- Reduced Maintenance: Its smooth surface facilitates cleaning and minimises the need for frequent maintenance.
Tips to Maximise Warehouse Floor Safety
- Clearly Mark Hazardous Areas: Use paint or stickers to delineate loading zones, pedestrian walkways, and any other potentially dangerous spaces.
- Maintain Consistent Cleanliness: Spills and debris make floors slippery, regardless of their covering. Ensure floors are cleaned regularly to promptly address any spills.
- Monitor Floor Condition: Even the sturdiest surfaces deteriorate over time. Inspect floors monthly and repair any damages or irregularities.
- Use Anti-slip Mats: In areas where spill risks are high, like near workstations or loading zones, using anti-slip mats will reduce slip hazards.
- Training and Awareness: Ensure all employees are trained and aware of floor-related risks and the measures to ensure their safety.
What is the BECOSAN Treatment?
BECOSAN® is a treatment designed for concrete surfaces to enhance their features. The aim is to transform the existing floor into a durable and aesthetic surface.
It’s particularly utilised in industrial settings where the durability, resilience, and appearance of the floor are paramount.
Objectives of the BECOSAN® Treatment
- Enhanced Durability: The treatment strengthens the concrete surface, making it more resistant to wear, impacts, and abrasion.
- Dust-free Surface: BECOSAN® reduces the dust production from the concrete surface. Perfect for warehouses, where dust can swiftly become a health and safety concern.
- Liquid Resistance: The treatment makes the concrete more resistant to liquid spills. Staining risks are reduced.
- Improved Aesthetic Appearance: The concrete floor exhibits a shinier and polished look.
The BECOSAN® treatment typically takes place in several stages
- Concrete Sanding: Before applying the treatment, the surface is sanded to remove any irregularities and open the concrete’s pores.
- Application of BECOSAN® Densifier: This solution penetrates deep into the concrete and reacts with free lime, causing a reaction that densifies and hardens the surface.
- Polishing: After densifier application, the surface is polished to achieve the desired shine level.
- Application of BECOSAN® Protective Sealer: This step finalises the process and creates a water and oil-resistant barrier.
Apart from enhanced durability and resilience, BECOSAN® offers other benefits such as reduced maintenance costs, improved light reflectivity (potentially lowering lighting costs), and a more appealing surface compared to untreated concrete floors.
Industrial warehouses are high-risk areas; hence, floor safety is a top concern for managers and owners.
concrete polishing surcace provides both a safe and aesthetic solution. However, it’s crucial to adopt a holistic approach that combines both the right infrastructure, like polished concrete, and best practices, like proper training and signage.